Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Convicted

     I was convicted of 162 charges, acquitted of 35, on Monday, May 2, 2016 at 4:30 pm.
     The trial lasted 5 weeks.
     The jury of 16, gleaned from 200-plus contestants, was pared down to 12 for the decision.
     One juror posted snoring icons on her Facebook page during the trial, demonstrating her (and the others'?) level of interest.
     I admit, it was not "interesting."
     Some jurors closed their eyes and appeared to doze off for short stretches, which I'm told is common during long, complicated trials like mine.
     I wrote lots of post-it notes to my two lawyers (one on each side, like on TV) day after day, witness after witness, hoping it would assist them.  I don't think it did.
     There are lots of factors that go into a verdict, factors that have more to do with the jurors living inside the webworks of their own personal histories, splaying the thousand crisscrossed strands of past injustices at the hands of people who look and act like me, than the particulars of my case.
     "It's not about truth and justice," a prominent lawyer told me.  "This isn't Perry Mason."
     I haven't read the newspaper report, but if you want to, here is the link.
     http://www.gainesville.com/article/20160503/ARTICLES/160509923

2 comments:

  1. "It's not about truth and Justice"
    ???????????????????????????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never have been able to locaye what correctional facility Dr. Colasante was to serve her sentence or if she is appealing her conviction.

    ReplyDelete