Monday, September 24, 2012

Late Summer Sangria

Here's the Sangria I serve at the summer office party each year.  It's great on a hot, sunny day.  I complimented the server while I was drinking it on a trip with my third son, celebrating his graduation--then the chef came out to receive my praise, and gave me the recipe in French--"a bottle of this, a little of that...."  His restaurant, a modest spot where you sit at little tables along the cobblestone street is Le Vieux Fort Cafe, and is in Carcassonne, France.

3 bottles red wine
2 quarts orange juice (fresh-squeezed best)
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
3 cups dark rum
1/4 cup grenadine
1/2 cup sugar (or 1 cup simple syrup)
fresh sliced pineapple, oranges, and peaches (3 cups)

Mix all ingredients, adding fruit at the end.  Allow to rest in the refrigerator several hours before serving over ice, or straight.  

No comments:

Post a Comment